Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Break In...

Egg timers are a valuable resource in the practice room. Upon suggestion from a musician friend, I've set a timer on my phone or laptop during practice sessions to allow myself time to recuperate and refocus. This is my new practice habit that I've begun this week and is working splendidly:

Morning Practice Session
45 minute - practice
30 minute - break
45 minute - practice

Afternoon/Evening Practice Session
30 minute - practice
30 minute - break
30 minute - practice

(If I'm alert, I squeeze in another 30 minutes...)

This is the equation for a successful day of intentional, calculated, focused practice. Many studies have determined that the best way to practice an instrument is in thirty minute to one hour increments. I actually read one such study as an undergraduate and eventually split my time into one hour increments. However, further decreasing each session by 15 minutes has somehow done the trick. 

To all my undergrad music friends who read this... START THIS PRACTICE HABIT NOW! Please learn from my mistake. I now realize I wasted precious time in college "practicing" when I was really creating and solidifying lazy singing habits. Is it tedious? Yes. Do you have to set specific goals for each session? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes. Check out this study, suggested by my friend Tim, about deliberate practice that, I believe, is worth the read for musicians.

Looking back on the past couple of years working in the admissions office, I've seen this habit taking shape without my knowing it. Sitting in a cubicle is very, very difficult for me. If you know me at all, you know I like to be on the move in my work environment, unless it's a rainy morning. When working in the admissions office I would perform focused work for 45 minutes to an hour until I couldn't sit still or started daydreaming. Then I'd walk around, chat a little, etc. and back to work I'd go. 

Systematic work is quite fulfilling and, I think, God-honoring. Proverbs 18:9 says:

"Whoever is slack in his work is a brother to him who destroys." (ESV)

Ouch! If that's not a kick in the pants, I don't know what is. I think it's all important to understand that with this hard truth, the Lord knew before the beginning of time how we would be wired psychology and emotionally. He also knew what tools we would need in order to not slack off in the job He's given us. He gave us the gift and tool of Sabbath! What gift/tool has He given you so you can avoid being "a brother to him who destroys?" He's given me the gift/tool of 30 minute "sabbaths" between practicing. So I'll set that timer that reads "a break in..." and work diligently knowing the gift that lies ahead. 

At the risk of offense and belaboring the point, I'm going to take this one step further. It's not just having a "sabbath" that makes the difference, for we can even slack in resting by resting unwisely.

(On a sidebar... I long for the days when every shop and restaurant was closed once a week allowing people a day of rest. I wonder how much more peaceful and productive our society would be were this still practiced?)

In other news: it's strawberry picking season here in Rochester. Below you'll find a glimpse of the treasures some of the Mapes ladies, Mapes is the last name of the sisters I'm living with whose immediate family also live in Rochester, uncovered earlier this week:




The Mapes ladies are all quite talented in the kitchen. It's been a week of sweet treats around the house. I think I'm going to need to add another mile to my jogging route...

I found a treasure of my own today at the advice of Dephanie Lilite. After not allowing myself to venture out much this week due to work, I took a much needed break in Highland Park for lunch today. Highland Park is a wonderland of oversized trees to climb, groves to read books in, secret trails to explore, and even a castle with sunken gardens to admire. For more information on the park click here.

The Warner Castle in Highland Park

The grove where I picnicked


Enjoy those little sabbaths, my friends. Without them we are zombies, with them we are a charismatic* success. 

*charisma in Greek means "grace, favor, or gift"

No comments:

Post a Comment