Friday, June 10, 2011

Session #1 - Gumball Machines

I had two titles in mind for this post. The one you see above and this one, "There Are Humans in New York."

After talking with young musician friends, there seems to be this trepidation when meeting a superior musician for the first time. I know I have it! We young musicians are still figuring out that the great maestros, voices, composers, and professors are not automatons. They are humans. I'm pleased to inform you that Ms. Webber is a human.

Humanity is more of a blessing than perfection. We need mortality to allow ourselves to be saved.  And how blessed that saving is! Coming to a point of being able to say you, and I, and we are flesh and bones, homes with squeaky doors, cars with scratches, is a most freeing moment. The squeaking becomes melodic and the scratches glisten while loving grace becomes all the greater. It's grace that allows for perfection and nothing more. Mortality asks for grace which refines toward perfection. I fear that as musicians seeking perfection, we often forget our humanity and the most important link in the chain is lost. Grace.

I had a wonderful session with Ms. Webber this afternoon. She is very gracious and in her words, "I think this is a good fit and a good investment." There are many moments of exciting sensations, and I gather sounds as well, when I simply let the air take it's natural course instead of requiring it to navigate the pathways of a tight labyrinth.  But I'm quickly reminded that it's what happens in the practice room that sticks. So it's to 428 I must go with the analogy of gumball machines...


Gumballs are not sucked out of the machine into an expectant child's goodie sack. They are poured into the sack. This is how air enters an open rib cage. If it were up to us to suck air in, we would all be dead. All we have to do is open our sack and let the air pour itself. Much like the Spirit. We open and it pours.

I pray your Friday evening is safe and in good company. I'm going to muse over a Lifetime movie and cup of tea with my roommate :)










No comments:

Post a Comment