Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Finding My Rochester Rhythm

First, I must say that I never planned on being a "blogger." My mom has always said, "Never say never because then you will." This blog is one more tally for mothers' wisdom.

The idea of a blog has always caused me a little angst. Will people read it? Is blogging one more attack from technology on authentic community? After all, it's much easier, not better, to spout thoughts into cyberspace than to a human who will assess and riposte. None the less, here I am with my first post. Blogging is the most efficient way I can update friends and family on the goings on in Rochester. Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with it... but I'm not ready to hold my breath just yet.

Here it goes:

I'm in Rochester, NY! Praise the Lord! I was blessed with a seemingly quick 21 hour drive over two days. Thanks to the OBU admissions office for preparing me for the road and suggesting audiobooks, along with prayer upon prayer from all of you!

My dear friend, Tim, posed me with this simple but profound thought on my journey northward - "We are just Christ followers who happen to like music. Who get to express our relationship in notes." This truth along with Psalm 91 are the theme for my journey.

I arrived in Rochester yesterday evening at 5:30pm to a warm and welcoming church family, Northridge Church. Check them out here. I love the Body of Christ. As I get the opportunity to travel more and more, I'm consistently in awe of unity by the Holy Spirit. Popular quotes of laughter or music being the universal language pale in comparison to the language of redemption.

My hostesses are absolutely wonderful. Simply a joy to be around and examples to be followed. Karen and Allison have welcomed me with open arms as one more in their family of 8, including the two brother-in-laws. Their home is darling and exudes tenderness.



It is truly going to be a haven this summer.


Day one agenda - Find my rhythm in Rochester. You know, that strong repeated pattern. The key spots where I'll be known, know others, have adequate study ambiance, and will make me feel like a true Rochesterian. Where will any twenty-something go first for this? The local coffee shop.

I've had lunch or a cup of joe at the coffee shops closest to the Eastman School of Music and knew from the jump that these would not suit my needs. Although they are fun for a rousing brunch or night out, they aren't Kathryne. Then the Lord plopped The Coffee Connection right in my lap, a nice 30 minute walk from Eastman.

The Coffee Connection is no ordinary coffee shop.

"The Coffee Connection is the non-profit training center for the Women's Opportunity for Work Program for women in recovery from substance abuse. Here, in a safe and supportive environment, each woman learns workplace and interpersonal skills while being paid. This transition enables them to maintain sobriety and, when they are ready, continue their education or rejoin the workforce."
- CC Brochure-

Visit their website for more details on The Coffee Connection, their mission, involvement with fair trade Peruvian coffee, and how you can be connected!

After chatting with Kim, the barista on duty, for a couple hours and meeting Nancy, the founder, I knew this little nook was it. They invited me back as a regular, encouraged me to enjoy my studies, and told me to bring my books and laptop to make the CC my study home all day, everyday. I so look forward to building friendships with the women at CC! You'll hear much more about this refuge of recovery, I'm sure. There may even be a chance to volunteer alongside the women... The Lord's multi-faceted plans and purposes for my time in Rochester are coming alive!

His goodness is proven o'er and o'er. Isaiah 63:7





No comments:

Post a Comment